Cavalcade of Risk #18 is up!
What's even more remarkable is that he's sombrero-blogging (confused by that? Then click on over!).
And if you'd like to host a future edition, even from the good ole U S of A, just drop us a line.
Key Democrats have already announced the president's plan to use the tax code to encourage more Americans to obtain health insurance is dead on arrival on Capitol Hill.
New Jersey is about to jump in the "health insurance for all pool". How many is that now? I am losing track.
USA Today offers the following for consideration.
NY Governor Spitzer (they must have had an election that I missed) is planning to roll out a health plan to cover the states uninsured children.
Want health insurance? Just fill out this application, and wait 6 months . . .
WASHINGTON - Every American should have health care coverage within six years, Democratic Sen. Barack Obama said Thursday . . . "I am absolutely determined that by the end of the first term of the next president, we should have universal health care in this country," the Illinois senator said.
AOL founder Steve Case has rolled out Revolution Health. I am just now flipping through and my initial impression is positive. Among other cool things you can do or learn . . .
Businesses are wary of a crop of new state health care proposals to reduce the number of uninsured, fearing the programs will drive up their expenses without solving the problem.
Parsing and commenting on the State of the Union, 2007 . . .
Under the law, all state residents must obtain health insurance by July 1 or face tax penalties.
Here is an interesting article from Canada:
Medicare has an enormous financing problem that most people probably don’t think about, or even know about. The problem is Medicare's crushing future liabilities, 90% of which must be paid from future federal budgets (the other 10% will come from contributions, e.g., Part B premiums paid by Medicare beneficiaries). Taxes must be levied to cover these Medicare liabilities as they become payable.
Peering into the future the NYT is reporting the following:
Thanks to state budget cuts, uninsured Cape Codders may not know they need to pick a health plan by July 1 or face tax penalties.
Drug companies increasingly are reaching legal settlements that delay the introduction of cheaper generic medicines. Federal regulators told lawmakers seeking to ban the agreements yesterday that the pacts cheat Americans of billions of dollars a year in savings.
“Healthcare spending [in 2005] grew 6.9% to about $1.99 trillion from about $1.86 trillion in 2004, a slower pace than the 7.9% increase a year earlier, the report by the National Health Statistics Group found.” (Free subscription required)
A leading DFL senator outlined a plan Wednesday to limit increases in health insurance premiums, saying her idea would put hundreds of dollars back into the wallets of average Minnesotans.
Renowned author and political commentator P.J. O'Rourke once wrote: "If you think health care is expensive now, wait and see how expensive it'll be when it's free."
For several years, there has been a steady increase in the number of children enrolling in Virginia's health insurance program for the poor. Beginning July 1, state officials say, an unprecedented slide began.
The news item says:
Reuters recently reported an interesting dust-up taking place in the U.K.
Weighing 386 pounds, Jeff Haaga believes he will be dead soon without gastric bypass surgery.
The federal government should join the state of Massachusetts in enacting universal health coverage, said Sen. Edward Kennedy, the new chairman of the Senate committee with jurisdiction over numerous health issues.